2K Games debuts exciting first look at extended gameplay of New Tales from the Borderlands at PAX West 2022.
At today’s Gearbox Showcase at PAC West, 2K and Gearbox Software debuted the first look at extended gameplay for New Tales from the Borderlands. The spiritual, as I am not sure if we can say official, sequel to Tales from the Borderlands is a standalone, choice-based interactive narrative adventure set in the Borderlands universe! Developed by Gearbox Software partnered with alumni of the original Telltale Games team, this spiritual successor carries forward the same bold sense of adventure and storytelling full of heartwarming emotion and head-exploding humor that Borderlands is known for.
New Tales from the Borderlands Extended Gameplay First Look
This tidbit of New Tales from the Borderlands is exactly the the slice of life content Borderlands fans have been dreaming of since Tales from the Borderlands. The nod to Metal Gear Solid, the little reference to an iconic Obi-Wan Kenobi line, and then a random mini-game based on collectible figures, is almost too much awesomeness to handle. And that was just in the first half of the video! If it’s anything like the Telltale Game, there are way more hours of content to look forward to. Here are the highlights 2K want you to focus on:
- Every Choice Matters. Every choice you make can impact how your story unfolds, often in unexpected ways. Only by playing through the game will you fully understand how your decisions can change the Borderlands;
- Impact of Quick Time Events. Succeeding at or failing QTEs has a tangible impact on your adventure, sometimes leading to a premature conclusion and other times shaping your story in unexpected ways;
- Immersive Visuals. In addition to stunning environments, New Tales from the Borderlands utilizes vastly improved movement and facial animations, using performance capture and facial mapping technology for the first time ever in a Borderlands title.
Three Lovable Losers
Outside of the gameplay, the story and the characters are quickly seeming like they will be a huge hit with the fans. I mean this guy collects toys, and Fran understands the traditions connected to those figures. The dynamic is world-class. If you want more info on protagonists of New Tales from the Borderlands, look no further than the new character trailer above, featuring the altruistic scientist Anu, her ambitious, “streetwise” brother Octavio, and the fierce, frogurt-slinging Fran.
- Anuradha Dahr: Although Anuradha (Anu) might be uncomfortable in social settings, she has no problem solving problems! Anu can see complex calculus, probabilities, and solve puzzles with her Tech Glasses. This do-gooder dreams of a world where no one has to kill to get ahead;
- Octavio Wallace Dahr: Anu’s adopted brother, Octavio, can be a bit full of himself. According to him, he is Meridian City’s most popular citizen with a long list of contacts to back it up. His ability to access information is like no other! Octavio’s big break hasn’t come just yet but he desperately wants to own a business and make loads of cash;
- Fran Miscowicz: Fran brings all the action from her gadget packed hover chair. Fran’s frogurt shop was hit by a Maliwan laser, and now is out for vengeance on the people that destroyed her shop. She’ll stop at nothing to protect her friends along the way and hopefully receive the much owed insurance payout, or the insurance company is going to have to deal with her directly.
New Tales from the Borderlands will be available worldwide on October 21, 2022, for Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store. Pre-order now to get the Adventure Capital Pack, featuring cosmetics for Anu, Octavio, and Fran, 10,000 in-game currency and an in-game FL4K Vaultlander collectible!*
What did you think of the New Tales from the Borderlands’ extended gameplay and character videos? Did you play the original? Did you already pre-order yours? Let us know what you think and share all your Borderlands thoughts and reactions with us on Twitter!